First things first, this recipe got a solid approval from a self proclaimed “picky non-vegan”, so yeah patting myself on the back. Originally this recipe was a twist on a Chile Rellano, then it kind of turned into a Mexican stuffed pepper. Either way, they’re delicious and full of protein!
- 6 ounces of Soy Chorizo (I get this brand at Whole Foods)
- 1 cup dry brown lentils
- 3 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 package mushrooms, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 4 poblano peppers, sliced in half and seeded
- 1 cup + 1/2 cup vegan cheese
- Cilantro (for garnish)
- Cook lentils in boiling water until tender, about 20-30 minutes. You can even get away with over cooking them a bit here!
- In a small amount of oil, sauté onion, mushroom, bell pepper, and garlic until soft.
- Squeeze soyrizo out of the casing and break up in the pan with sautéed veg.
- Once the lentils are cooked, add in lentils and stir to combine.
- Mix in 1 cup vegan cheese, and fill the sliced poblano peppers.
- Top all the stuffed peppers with 1/2 cup vegan cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minuets or until peppers are soft.
- Top with cilantro and ENJOY!