These cupcakes are ALL KINDS OF HOLIDAY YUMMMM!
Disclaimer – candy canes are technically not vegan because they’re made with honey, and honey is a product of bees. Since bees are an animal, honey is an animal byproduct. HOWEVER, this frosting can easily be made without the candy canes!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 stick vegan butter, softened (I used Earth Balance)
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- Crushed candy canes (if desired)
Instructions (for cupcakes)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a cupcake pan with baking cups or spray with baking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the flour, sugar, cocoa, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the vanilla extract, vinegar, oil, 1/4 teaspoon of the peppermint extract, and water.
- Using a spatula, mix the batter until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly between 12 baking cups (about 3/4 full).
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from baking pan and allow to cool to room temperature.
Instructions (for vegan buttercream)
- Put softened vegan butter, powdered sugar, and almond milk in a bowl and beat with a mixer.
- The frosting should form stiff peaks. If it’s too thin, gradually add powdered sugar. If it’s too thick, gradually add almond milk (like a tiny bit at a time).
- Once the frosting is at the proper consistency, add the other 1/4 teaspoon of peppermint extract and stir to combine.
- If desired, add the crushed candy canes.
- Use either a piping bag or a plastic bag to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes