This is the most perfect picnic salad because it travels well and you can make it in advance. It also give you all the good nutrition without weighing you down, no one wants to feel like a beached whale at a beach picnic! This salsa can be served over lettuce, quinoa, or a topping for tacos.
Side note: Who knew Texas had cute beaches?!
- 1 cup black beans (homemade or canned)
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 lime (or 2 depending on how much you like)
- 1 avocado
- 2 ears of corn, shucked
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- A palmful of chopped cilantro (I don’t measure), chopped
Prep (the night before)
- If you’re making black beans from scratch, put 1 cup of black beans in a crockpot with 8 cups of water and spices for 8 hours on low, then drain and freeze the leftovers. If you’re using canned, then drain and rinse the beans, and set aside.
- Fill a large stock pot half way with water and boil water over high heat.
- Cook corn for about 10 minutes.
- Let corn cool while you chop the tomatoes, bell pepper, jalapeño, garlic, cilantro, and red onion.
- Mix all the veggies together, then cut the corn off the cob and mix that in as well.
- Squeeze 1 lime over the mixture and mix together.
- At this point, mix in the beans, and serve!
Also you can add avocado for some extra texture and flavor!