Truth time, there’s nothing boozy about this lasagna. It’s called “Vegan Drunken Lasagna” because I was definitely drunk when I made most of it. Go figure. Disclaimer: I don’t recommend using kitchen equipment when intoxicated and for the record, I was unsupervised, so not my fault, right?
Anyways, this lasagna is 100% vegan and delicious! Enjoy! And consume alcohol responsibly!
1 large package mushrooms, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine
1 eggplant, thinly sliced
1 container vegan cream cheese (I used GoVeggie Chive and Garlic)
1 cup almonds, soaked overnight
1 container vegan parmesan cheese (I used GoVeggie)
1 bag vegan mozzarella shreds (Daiya is the best for melting)
1 box no bake lasagna noodles
1 tablespoon Italian herbs
Salt & Pepper
- Soak almonds in water overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat a medium pot on medium and add 1 tablespoon olive oil, sauté onion and garlic.
- Once onion is translucent, add mushrooms and cook until soft.
- While onion, garlic, and mushrooms are cooking, arrange eggplant in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle eggplant with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast eggplant for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, and put to the side for assembly.
- Once mushrooms, onions, and garlic are cooked, add all the canned tomato products and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning and 1/2 cup red wine and simmer 10-20 minutes.
- While sauce is finishing make your “ricotta cheese” mixture by blending almonds and vegan cream cheese with 1 tablespoon of water. Add water until the consistency is spreadable but thick.
- Fold 1/4 cup of vegan mozzarella into the ricotta mixture, set aside.
- In and 8×8 glass baking dish, start assembling your lasagna by laying down 1/2 cup sauce in the bottom of the dish. Top the sauce with 3 no bake lasagna noodles broken in half, so you’ll later them on top of each other.
- Next you’ll top the noodles with 3/4 cup sauce, then the roasted eggplant.
- Divide the ricotta mixture in half and spread 1/2 on top of the eggplant.
- Then, cover the ricotta mix with 3/4 cup sauce, 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella cheese, and then 3 more no bake lasagna noodles.
- Top the last layer of noodles with 1 cup or the remainder of the sauce, followed by the rest of the ricotta cheese mixture.
- Top with the remainder of the vegan mozzarella cheese and an good sprinkle of parmesan.
- Cook in oven for 30-40 minutes or until the noodles are cooked and a fork comes in and out easily.