Ok ya’ll so naturally I totally messed up these muffins, but in a good way! These muffins back half the sugar of regular muffins without sacrificing any of the flavor. These power muffins are packed with fiber and natural sugars to balance your energy for the morning!
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
2 tablespoons water
2 ripe & spotty bananas, mashed
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup plain applesauce (I used apricot, and it was SO YUMMY)
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup flour (I used all purpose flour but you can use GF flour as well)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup steel cut oats
2 teaspoons baking powder (if you don’t have it, no sweat I didn’t either and mine rose just fine)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/3 cup crushed pecan pieces
3/4 cup frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with liners or spray with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together ground flax and water. Set aside.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, mash bananas. Then mix in the rest of the wet ingredients.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together all dry ingredients, except the pecans and blueberries.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry, adding in the “flax egg” mixture too, and mix until well combined, but be careful not to overmix. Gently fold in the pecans and blueberries.
- Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 of the way full (this recipe makes approximately 16 muffins!).
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool for a few minutes before taking them out. Don’t forget to spray your pan again for the second batch!
Nutritional Info: Per 1 muffin, for 16 muffins