LET’S TALK ABOUT MEAL KITS.
Ya’ll I thought these were so dumb when they first started becoming a thing and let me tell you why:
- Every freaking thing is wrapped in plastic. We all know not to use plastic straws, cups, etc. But we forget about every pesky plastic wrapper that is on literally everything.
- It doesn’t solve any issue of the nutritional value of your food, it actually might be worse. Your average onion at the grocery store has travelled 1,759 miles from the field to your kitchen. This is a small number compared to some others, so just imagine how immature that produce is when its picked and how many waxes and preservatives they have to use to get it to survive the trip… scary.
- You really aren’t being more energy efficient with the traditional ‘meal kit’ model because there’s still multiple middle steps, it isn’t farm to kitchen. It’s farm to processing facility for boxing to distribution center to shipping service to kitchen. So much travel for food.
Thankfully, here is Austin there is a better meal kit option that is truly healthier, more convenient, and definitely more sustainable. I’ve been a Lettuce subscriber for a few weeks now and I LOVE it! These are just some of the reasons why:
- It’s exposing me to vegetables I’ve never had (and I love them) – like what even is a rutabaga? Or celery root? Or collards?
- It’s using seasoning for flavor instead of just salt and fat – they’re all custom made sauces and seasonings are better than anything you could ever buy in the store.
- The recipes are fairly easy to follow and don’t take much time in comparison to how much food you end up with.
- It’s totally zero-waste – you can put your composting items back in the containers and then when they pick up your bag the next week, they will also take your compost — no plastic or food waste.
- It’s seriously so much food, I haven’t been to a grocery store in weeks.
- The produce is harvested the same day or even the day before so it’s at maximum freshness and nutritional value.
- It’s so convenient, they deliver right to your door… no waiting in line at the store, or fighting crowds.
- It’s really easy to skip a week if you’re out of town or just have other plans.
Being healthy is so much easier with Lettuce because their meal kits are always delicious, easy, and nutritious. Life is so busy anyways, that not having to meal plan and shop but knowing your being a good sustainable consumer is probably the best thing ever.