There is just something about a woman and her hair.
There really is something to the phrase “a woman’s hair is her crowning glory”. Traditionally this implied long hair but as times have changed and so has the meaning of this phrase. Woman rock hair of all different lengths, colors, and styles and when you’re having a good hair day, you feel like you can take on the world.
I come from a family of great hair so I had to learn at a very young age how to manage the mane. My hair is also naturally wavy, and with the right products can look like I just walked off of having a beach day in SoCal.
Not only will going eco-friendly with your hair care routine result in enhanced hair health but will continue your eco-fabulous lifestyle choices.
Shampoo and Conditioner: Right in your local grocery store is the mecca of eco-friendly shampoo and conditioner, OGX. It is a brand that is committed to sustainable practices while keeping prices reasonable. Another perk of OGX? They do not test on animals! I use Coconut Curls Shampoo and alternate between Brazilian Keratin Therapy Conditioner and Biotin & Collagen Conditioner.
Leave-in Conditioner: I use this everyday whether I’m going naturally curly or going for more of a smooth style. Shea Moisture Strengthen, Grow, and Restore Leave-In Conditioner has certified organic ingredients, isn’t tested on animals, and uses recycled packaging. AKA eco-fabulous approved.
Liquid Gel: Aveda is another beauty brand that is committed to sustainable practices in all facets of doing business. I have been using the Aveda Confixor Liquid Gel for years and it’s the best liquid gel to hold curls in place without making them crunchy.
- Use an old t-shirt to wrap your hair up after a shower, the soft cotton fibers are not as rough on hair as that of a towel.
- Your hair strands are most vulnerable to breakage when they’re wet, so try to avoid heavy brushing and combing.
- If you can go heatless than do it! Your hair and your electricity bill will thank you for it.
- Only shampoo your scalp and condition your ends, you won’t have to wash your hair as often.
- Speaking of that, don’t wash your hair everyday as your scalp will be more healthy not having its natural oils stripped every single day.
- Respect the climate you live in, during winter give your locks some extra love with a deep condition to combat the dry, cold months.
- Drink water!!! Water is not only beneficial for your whole body but it will keep your hair healthy and shiny.
Take care of your hair, it will thank you!
An eco-fabulous hair routine is yet another small step for woman-kind and a large step toward leading a more sustainable lifestyle.
Photo by: Scott Warfel