Mexican food is the way to my heart and Taco Tuesday is the best day of the week.
Growing up, bean and cheese burritos were the go-to comfort food and our boyfriends were always over at our house for Taco Tuesday. So naturally in my quest to lead a more organic lifestyle, I decided to make homemade refried beans.
The first time I tried this it was quite tragic to say the least. This time around I learned a few tips and tricks to help the process go much more smoothly.
Let’s do this:
- 1 lb. dry pinto beans
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 6 cups boiling water
- A crock-pot
- Combine all ingredients in a crock-pot and turn on high for 4 hours
- Once the mix has been on high for 4 hours, turn it down to low for 2 more hours
- Place a strainer over a bowl and dump delicious looking beans into strainer
- Use a potato masher and mash beans in the strainer
- If beans are too thick, use the bean juice (that sounds gross) to thin out the mixture
It is really that easy. They turned out delicious, if you want a smoother texture you can use a blender or an immersion blender. Grab your crock-pot and enjoy the comfort of warm, delicious, and organic bean and cheese burrito!